calhoun

Default DIY - adding central air

Thanks for all the replies. Guess I'll stick with the window units.
I did the calculations and need a 2.5 lb unit.
The furnace air system will handle it. I installed that 5 years ago with
plans for future central air. All new insulated ducting. A larger plenum so
there will be plenty of room for the air handler. Wired to a heat and cool
thermostat.
I am interested in 134a because you don't need a license to use it. I have
installed AC systems on several vehicles using it. It is available
everywhere and easy to use.

"Joseph Meehan" wrote in message
calhoun" builderpaul@"pants wrote:
I want to add central air to my existing forced air furnace. I see
many available kits and it looks pretty straight forward. Any one
done this? Also all the kits, I have seen, use Freon. Any one know of
any that use 134A.

Let, me suggest, this is not a do it yourself project.

Have you done the calculations to determine the size unit you need?
Have you done the calculations and design work to assure your existing air
handling system can handle A/C? Do you know how? I seem to recall that

in
the US you need a license to handle the Freon and need some special
equipment. Got that?

I don't think any 134A units are available, but I sure could be wrong.
Why are you interested in 134A?

--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math