Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Wire nuts versus

On Thu, 9 Jul 2020 10:11:28 -0400, Ralph Mowery
wrote:

In article ,
says...
copper. The other stuff would break if you bent it a few times.
I would warn anyone with aluminum in their house from the late 60s and
early 70s, not to screw with it.
Most of the problems were caused by workmanship related things. If
your house didn't burn down in the 70s, it probably won't if you don't
screw with the wiring.

I lived in a house built around 1965. It had aluminum wiring. There
were about 10 houses built along the road all about the same at the same
time. Around 1990 one of the houses caught on fire. I do not know if
it was traced to the wiring or something else.

Usually aluminum wiring problems gave plenty of warning, if people
were looking. The guys I have talked to who did mitigation and repairs
say these are usually after someone altered the initial install
assuming you didn't have problems right away. This wire is very
brittle and pulling out devices to "check them" may cause a problem
you didn't have. If you do have one out, it should be replaced with a
CO/ALr.