Hugo Nebula

Default Internal Kitchen Building regs

On 6 Jan 2004 03:04:15 -0800, a particular chimpanzee named
(Dave D) randomly hit the keyboard and
produced:

I am shifting my kitchen to be internal in a 2nd floor flat.
1) I am putting in an extractor fan at ceiling level does it have to
be a 30 or 60 LPS ?

If it's not a cooker hood, then 60 litres/sec should be provided. If
you have accommodation above you, be careful where the extract ducting
runs. It shouldn't run above the ceiling, or between your flat and
the common stair.

2) I have an internal window to a bedroom, I will be closing this:
Does 12.5mm plasterboard have the required fire retardency. Can I use
glass bricks/special glass and if so will it meet regs ?

If it's a window between two rooms, then generally it doesn't need
fire resistance per se. If it is a window onto a stair or an internal
lobby, then it does need 30 minutes fire resistance. 12.5 p/bd both
sides of a stud (or two layers on the room side) should give this.
AFAIK, most glass blocks do give 30 mins f/r, provided that fire
resisting cement is used. Fire resistant glass (such as georgian
wired) can be used.
--
Hugo Nebula
"The fact that no-one on the internet wants a piece of this