William W. Plummer

Default Leveling toilet

"Dan Hartung" wrote in message
Another rental property question. (I always say that because the rental
rehab we acquired had some *sloppy* el-cheapo construction. Wherever I
can I try to improve as I fix.)

The city noted on its inspection a loose toilet (base). There isn't any
obvious leak, and the nuts seem as tight as they can go, but it rocks
front to back as much as 1/4".

Apparently there's a way to level toilets using "metal shims" -- is
there a special kind I should get? Does it matter that they're metal
since it's on top of vinyl flooring and plywood beneath that? If I shim
it should I seal using something like plumber's putty (or would that
conceal and concentrate any rot?). If it isn't leaking, do I need to
take the thing off and replace the wax seal, or should I just do that
anyway?

The toilet must be supported around its base. Shims will work or you can
use grout because it is hard and does not compress after it sets. Caulk is
wrong. Do not try to tighten down the attaching nuts because you will wind
up either compressing the wax seal to nothing, or you will crack the toilet.
The support must come from what the toilet sets on.