Andrew Gabriel

Default Non-copper wire in ring main?

In article ,
Dave Plowman writes:
In article ,
Christian McArdle wrote:
Both mine and my mother's fan heaters are 3kW. They're pretty widely
available. However, the cheapest in the range will be a 2kW, so they're
probably more common to find, as most people are cheapskates.

OK. It was probably well over 10 years ago when I last looked,
and my recollection was that 2kW seemed to be the max available
then.

There's really no point in a 2kW fan heater, given that all have
thermostats.

Funny you should say that. One weekend I ended up working in an
unheated office (warehouse sized open plan one). I was given a
fan heater. On the 2kW setting, I felt nothing, but on the 1kW
setting, it sent me a nice breeze of warm air. On further
investigation, I realised that at 2kW, the exhaust air was hotter
and didn't make it more than about 2 feet from the fan heater
before just going vertically up missing me, whereas at 1kW,
the air continued to move perhaps 4 feet horizontally before
changing direction, so it caught me.

--
Andrew Gabriel