wendi

Default oak => too busy for me

Personally I would never paint wood like that though. If you don't

I don't like oak because it's looks too busy and I don't like the open
grain. That's just my personally preference. Having said that, I don't
really like to paint wood in general, even oak. But, these cabinets are
just too massive and overwhelming. I'll paint over 80% of them, and try to
re-stain the cabinets under the U-shape counter. That's the plan. If the
chemical stripping process turns too difficult which means I have to turn to
mechanical sanding, then I'll just paint over them. I don't like sanding,
esp. I don't know if these old veneer cabinets can take the beating.

I would sand down to the bare wood and use one coat of primer.

Only one coat of primer? How about the undercoat?

thx,
-w

"Childfree Scott" wrote in message
om...
I would sand down to the bare wood and use one coat of primer.
Personally I would never paint wood like that though. If you don't
like the color than you can always stain it a different color them put
your 3 coats of polyeureathane over it.