barry martin

Default Need Carpet Removal Tips

Desi:

D I plan to remove the carpet in the townhouse I just bought. But don't
D know how.
D The first floor has concrete floor and second floor has hardwood
D floor. A friend is ready to help me do this job. I need to do it
D before my Laminate floor arrives at my place.
D Can you give me tips on how to do it? (I am a first time buyer and
D have absolutely no experience in DIY kind of jobs)
D How long will it take to ripoff and cut it into 4' width? (area is
D about 1700 sq ft)
D What instruments do I need?
D Any precaution to be taken?
D Or is it worth paying the installers to do this job?

Sharp utility or preferably carpet knife. Might be easier to cut the
carpet in 4- or 5' strips while it is flat (in position) than later.

Twine -- to secure the rolled-up carpet strips. (Duct tape tends to
loosen -- probably because bought cheap duct tape.)

Leather gloves -- the backing can be a 'sharp'.

Sweep up the under-carpet debris (someone else mentioned the dirt that
gets through). When done vacuum, preferably with a (small) shop vac.
If using your regular vacuum turn the beater bar off (straight
suction); replace filter bag frequently.

For the pad that sticks to the flooring you can use an ice scraper to
get started, then a 2" putty knife to get the residue. (I generally
skipped the ice scraper -- missed too much.) A gardening pad will
save your knees.

Use a small crow bar to pry up the carpet strips. Warning: the nails
sticking up are SHARP!! A 6 or 8 inch one is sufficient. Rather than
picking up by hand (ouch!) might consider a pair of pliers.

Good music for distraction (it's kind of a boring job!) and since you
have a friend helping beverage of choice and a pizza or crockpot (slow
cooker) meal.

-
¯ barry.martinþATþthesafebbs.zeppole.com ®

* Oklahoma motto: Rather Sooner than Later.
---
þ RoseReader 2.52á P003186
þ The Safe BBS þ Bettendorf, IA 563-359-1971
---
þ RIMEGate(tm)/RGXMod V1.13 at BBSWORLD *