Gary Slusser

Default Water Softener: Which One?

"wendi" wrote in message
news:mWAwc.52098$mm1.31428@fed1read06...
I'm in southern california with very hard water, household of 2, and
possibly one to two new family additions in the next 2-5 years. What
size of a water softener would I need? Also, how do I know what size of
pipes (1/2", 1", or 1-1/2") do I have?

I have narrow down my selection of water softener to the followings:
1. Sears Kenmore 100 or 150A or 200(?Not Listed)
http://www.sears.com/ and type "water softener" in search box
PROS: Popular Brand
CONS: Big; Might Required Complex Installtion; Tedious Salt
Replacement (Monthly basis?)

2. Kinetico 2020c:
http://www.kinetico.com/
PROS: No Electricity Required; Small and Compact
CONS: $$$$$ (Price unknown, but probably very expensive)

3. HardWaterWizard
http://www.alloysafe.com/?Page=../ca....cfm&CatID=337
PROS: Small and Compact; Cheap
CONS: Unknown brand, might be scam???

IMO the best softeners use an Autotrol Clack or Fleck control valve and for
a DIYer that will replace a part if needed, the Clack WS-1 is probably the
best with the Fleck 7000 a very close second. You find them on the internet
or through local independent water treatment dealers. If you buy over the
internet and install it yourself you'll save considerable money.

The size of your tubing is imprinted on the tubing but can be hard to read.
The OD (outside diameter) of 3/4" copper and CPVC is 7/8" and 1" is 1 1/8".

There are two parts to properly sizing a softener: compensated hardness to
establish minimal capacity and the SFR (service flow rate) of the softener
(based on size and type of resin used) required for the peak flow rate of
your house. Large tubs, multiple head showers and numerous bathrooms dictate
that. Most big box stores and many dealers don't get into the SFR
requirement which causes the purchase of undersized equipment. If the SFR is
exceeded, the softener will not be able to remove all the hardness and/or
iron. You should start with a basic water test for hardness, iron, manganese
if possible, pH and TDS (total dissolved solids).

Gary
Quality Water Associates
www.qualitywaterassociates.com
Bulletin Board www.qualitywaterassociates.com/phpBB2