Reason

Default Any problems with this proposed evap cooler install plan?

"Chris J..." wrote in message
On 5 Jun 2004 09:58:51 -0400, wrote:

Chris J... wrote:

The reason I want to install an Evap cooler is to reduce my electric
bill because using my present AC can cost up to $200 a month.

Opening windows at night might do a lot,

I haven't needed to fire up my air-conditioner much since I installed
thermostatically-controlled window fans that draw cooler air into the house
to a preset temperature. They really do cool the house a lot. When it's
really hot, the fans work most of the night cooling down the house for the
next day, and then other forms of cooling aren't really needed until later
in the day.

That's one big reason I want an evep cooler and air filters; It's
often 30 degrees cooler at night, but there are lots of tiny flies in
this area that can get through window screens and they are attracted
to coming inside, both day and night, which often precludes open
windows during the summer. Pollen and Dust are also an issue, though
not as serious. So, I'd use the cooler for non-evap air inflow quite
often, basically as an alternative to opening windows.

Evap coolers can be excellent air-cleaners if designed properly. A
wet-sponge filter used as an evaporator can trap nearly all foreign objects.
A small amount of chlorine or copper sulfate and a water-filtering system
should keep it fairly clean.

You might install it on top of a water reservoir (eg a plastic 55 gallon
drum) and cool the house indirectly with an indoor fan-coil unit that

adds
no humidity to the house air,

I wouldn't mind some extra humidity; the air is extremely dry right
now.

I'm very interested by the fan-coil concept you mention, though. I've
never heard of it.

Using a heat exchanger to reduce the humidity is a great idea, but it
wouldn't really work, because any form of air-cooling drops the air to near
or below the dewpoint anyway. That's why air-conditioners have water
drains. I've never seen an air-conditioner or a swamp cooler that could
produce low-humidity cool air.