Howie

Default Remember mould behind bed in the bedroom?

On Mon, 5 Jan 2004 18:47:04 -0000, "BillR"
wrote:

|I had my house insulated under the same scheme. They won't do any walls that
|aren't easily accessible from the outside.
|Full cost for 4 bed detached house now is £600.
|
|What the OP has not shown us is the back of the house.
|If the outside wall is indeed in contact with the hillside and has not been
|tanked properly (or the tanking has failed) then that is where the problem
|lies...If so, expensive to put right.
|There was such a situation on Property Ladder not long ago and they ended up
|with a spring in the middle of the lounge floor.

Hi,

Sorry, not familiar with the term 'tanking'. Could you explain
what this is please? However, I am fairly sure that the rear of
the house is fine. Also, it's 10 metres away from my furthermost
mould problem!
FYI, the rear is only one-story high because of the hillside.
There is a utility room at underground level inside at the rear,
and although parts of these walls below ground (huge exterior
concrete blocks set on cast-concrete) are showing some dampness
from the hillside, the room itself it's quite dry and well
ventilated with eight (yes - eight) brick vents all around.
Strangely though - the rear wall above ground level seems to be
of timber construction with tile cladding over the top. Similar
in looks to the picture of the front of the house. Sounds hollow
(like a stud wall) when I knock on it from inside.

I have another (large, uncropped, and therefore downoad-time
consuming) view of the rear of the property he
http://www.coakley.co.uk/personal/ne...ckgarden_6.jpg

Sorry these images are big - but I have piccies of the whole
house stored in my web directory
http://www.coakley.co.uk/personal/newhouse/
So, if you're REALLY bored you can look over the whole property
inside and out!

Thinking about it, I suppose that the moisture inside the house
could be higher than normal because of the hillside effectively
evaporating run-off water through my rear 'foundation walls'.
This could be adding to the condensation/mould problem. However,
the house certainly does not feel damp anywhere, the walls are
not wet to the touch and the mould itself is only really evident
in the bedrooms - against my problematic outside side wall. The
only place I can actually see and touch condensation is on the
bedroom windows, - when I forget to open them!

Thanks again.

Howard.