Cheryl

Default Power surges

In the fine newsgroup "alt.home.repair", "Brikp"
artfully composed this message within
on 03 Jun 2004:

I had a thought - Cheryl obviously has a PC and is at least PC
literate enough to find and post to this NG. Most would agree a
surge protector is a must have on her PC setup. We all have them
somewhere.

Ah, you give me too much credit. I only discovered Usenet so I
could learn how to hack hotmail. JUST KIDDING!

Why not do this.

I have installed and used in business un-interruptible power
supplies (UPS) that have power monitors in them and will even
'smooth out' the levels automatically. In other words maintain a
constant 115V when the line varies the +- 7 % it usually does.
Well, I am not recommending this as a long term solution BUT
they also have serial outputs a logging of events with
configurable thresholds. So, you can see where your voltage is
and record every time it exceeds a predefined threshold. This
one may do this
http://www.apcc.com/products/family/index.cfm?id=17 for $70.
Worthwhile even w/o the issues she is having.

Just a thought.

Way above my comprehension. I think I'm going to need to call an
electrician for this one. Now that my suspicions are confirmed that
this isn't something to ignore. Thank you!

--
Cheryl