Hamilton Audio

Default humidity in the house?

wrote in message
Chuckles wrote:

The only way you can have 60% humidity in winter is with some very heavy
humidification.

I think not. A very tight house or a damp basement will do it.

I'm guessing this is a very tight house....definitely NO moisture issues in
the basement, we use it as living
space everyday.

You have condensation on your windows because your windows are bad...

Not necessarily.

Again, agreed.

...and so the insides of the windows are very cold, and this is acting
like a dehumidifier and sucking out the last few drops of moisture.

Sounds natural, on a cold day.

A dehumidifier on top of that? That's funny.

Might be a good idea in wintertime. About 60% more efficient than electric
resistance heat, as a latent heat pump...

Nick

Page 2 of

http://www.odpm.gov.uk/stellent/grou...reg_600356.pdf

mentions that a 1981 Canadian housing development holds the world record
for low air leakage...

Page 5 says the voluntary Canadian IDEAS standard calls for less than
0.15 m^3/h of air leakage per square meter of house envelope with a 50
pascal blower door test, which is equivalent to about 0.15/20 = 0.0075
m^3/h or 0.0127 cfm/m^2 or 4 cfm of natural air leakage for a 2400 ft^2
two-story house :-)

goes to show you that not all older homes are bad actually its
interesting. this house is approx 1300 sq. feet
(for a total of 2600 sq feet of heated living space). I have the IDENTICAL
furnace as I did in the previous home
of 800 sq feet (total of 1600). My heating bills are LOWER here Same
town, same gas company, same weather.
Larger house, less bills = less leakage.