Jaime

Default Cooker wiring

snip

???? 67 amps ???? That means the range cooker has a total load of

16,080
Watts (16.08 Kw). How many heating rings are on top it ? What sizes are
the heating element in the ovens ? Are you sure you need ALL of the

cooker
ON just to make lunch ?

Yep 16kw, the one I used as an example has 5 rings on the top and 3
ovens/heaters. I didnt say this was needed, obversly if its there you have
to make sure theres some failsafe in case soemone decides to switch it all
one at once.

http://www.cbcdesign.co.uk/cable.html

Depending on the length of the existing cable, you may have to up it to at
least 16 mm to take that kind of full load. Remembering that most

domestic
supplies are only 16 mm to begin with, then you may also have to have the
mains supply reinforced to take the load of your whole house with

everything
switched on at the same time.

Yep agreed as its 60 amps needs a 100 amp cable.

With all elements heating on the stove and the shower running, that makes

total load of: 67 Amps + 42 Amps which equals 109 Amps, which in turn

makes
the 100 Amp supply fuse before the meter over heat and possibly burn out.

As I said its more than the 100 amp company fuse, however doens the rcd trip
(80 amp) in a standard consumer unit have over load protection?

This would mean your house would lose all of its supply and you'd have to
call out the electricity supplier to change their supply fuse, which will
let them see that you are drawing so much power from the supply that you

are
almost going into the category of being a small commercial premises, which
would then put you on to a higher business tariff for your supply. This

is
beginning to get very complicated.

As I said this is the problem, what link in the chain prevents this. I fidn
it odd as theres cookers are quite popular and so are electric showers so
surely theres some kind of preventative feature in the chain.

Jaime