Tom

Default New Roof Over Old Roof or Not?

Leo wrote:I believe Ralph paid you a compliment calling you a weekend warrior.
Where I'm from we would call you the local hack.

FYI, you left out the most important part of ice and water shield. It
adheres to the deck, where as felt doesn't. I don't care how many
layers of felt you put down, it will not shield decking from ice
backup. Ice & watershield also seals around nail heads, NO felt made
will do this.

You sir are a true hack.

I suggest you look at a shingle to see if there even IS a tar strip on the
backside. Felt is laid just for the reasons I stated. Hope this helps. Tom

Look again Mr. Hack.

Well, the thick skin helps a little. I guess. Here we go... Whether something
"adheres" to the decking is irrelevant(unless you're trying to tear it off.
Ever tried to tear off the sticky stuff?). The only thing holding your roof on
is nails or staples, and the weight of the entire field stuck together just
under the tabs by the tar strip.(Otherwise, those shingles wouln't be so easy
to cut out and replace!) Of course the membranous stuff will seal up better
around the fastener, isolating the homeowner from interior evidence of the ice
dam. "If it's not leaking, no problem". So they forgo fixing the causes of ice
dams, and when that underlayment starts to see daylight, you've got problems.
Same with felt, also. Doing it right doesn't have to cost too much. I know of
cities where you're _required_ to use the sticky stuff and I wonder about
that. But it's great for when the architect is on something, and designs a
bathtub in at the bottom of a valley. Tom
Someday, it'll all be over....