Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Splice 220 volt 6 gauge line outside- is it safe?

On Wed, 8 Jul 2020 18:33:55 -0700 (PDT), trader_4
wrote:

On Wednesday, July 8, 2020 at 8:27:22 PM UTC-4, wrote:
On Wed, 8 Jul 2020 05:56:35 -0700 (PDT), trader_4
wrote:

On Tuesday, July 7, 2020 at 6:55:57 PM UTC-4, wrote:
On Tue, 7 Jul 2020 10:15:01 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

On Sun, 5 Jul 2020 22:14:02 +0000, Stacey
om wrote:

Our contractor accidentally cut the 220 volt 6 gauge line that ran from our
main electrical box to a panel that operates our spa and outdoor lighting. His
fix was to splice the lines in a junction box. This is all outside and the
junction box is mounted on the side of a wood pergola hidden by a vine. Is all
this safe? Children play in this area daily
Picture of inside the junction box included , main house panel, and the spa
panel the cut line runs to
https://www.homeownershub.com/img/nc
https://www.homeownershub.com/img/nd
https://www.homeownershub.com/img/ne

Ask for the contractor's insurer phone#, remember the guy's name and the date of the work done and hope for the best.

The real question is whether this "contractor" actually is one
(licensed and insured) and if he had permits for the work he was
doing.

He may have been licensed and had permits for the work he started out to do,
but seeing what we saw, I'd put money on that he's not licensed to do
electrical work.

If you hired an unlicensed handyman and you did not get
permits, it is pretty hard to get the municipality interested in
sending an inspector out there unless you want to be liable for the
fines and fees.

Best thing to do to fix this is give the contractor a choice. Either he
gets a licensed electrician in to straighten it out or you will, at his
expense.

The fix for that box is about $15 in parts and 15 minutes.

Which doesn't have anything to do with the two choices, from what I see.

Explain.
If he makes the splices compliant and puts some locknuts on the
conduits it should pass any inspection. The same guy who made up the
box in the first place could make it up right faster than arguing
about it. I have seen plenty of licensed electricians who would need a
tune up about why that box failed. That is far from a panacea.
I even know inspectors who might say "no problem" with what he has.