Posted to alt.home.repair
Scott Lurndal Scott Lurndal is offline

Default Wire nuts versus

philo writes:
On 7/6/20 5:46 PM, TimR wrote:
I've lived in Europe where wire nuts are prohibited, and always thought a screw terminal, chocolate block, etc., was probably more secure.

Today I experimented, wiring a new light in my shed and using Alumiconns instead of wire nuts.

Well, they work. They're very secure. they cost $3.50 each instead of 9 cents. They don't save any space in the box; actually they take more, because they have to be oriented to not interfere. And while on the bench they look dead easy to install, up on a ladder inside a ceiling box it was a different story. I had a heck of a time getting everything lined up just right with stiff solid wire that had to be stripped to precisely 5/16 inch. It took at least 5 times as long as to wire nut them, maybe more. Of course you'd get faster with practice. But I don't think anyone could afford to lose that much time in a production setting.

I vaguely remembered the box was missing a cover. So of course the one I bought didn't fit.

If you are using aluminum wiring, it's a horrible idea. It was banned in
the US due to starting fires.

Actually, _properly wired_, Al wiring is just as safe as Cu.

The main issue is related to the fact that thermal expansion is greater
in Al when compared with Cu, so if connections aren't properly done, the
thermal expansion of the conductor will cause the connection point to
loosen, which increases the resistance, which generates more heat, which
can, in some cases, lead to fire.

There are additional issues related to interconnecting Al and Cu
conductors causing corrosion (hence higher resistance) due to
chemical reactions between the dissimilar metals (hence the
invention of the bimetalic split bolt for larger AWGsn and
Alumiconn et alia connectors for smaller AWG and anti-oxidant
grease for bi-metal splices).

Given that unqualified homeowners often try to do their own wiring
and don't have the knowledge to choose the correct device for the
application (e.g. AL-rated receptacles) or to torque the connections
properly, it seemed safer to just ban
AL for standard residential applications (and copper prices had fallen,
the rise in which had led to the use of Al in the first place).

Since all wiring is copper here in the US...a properly installed wire
nut is just fine.

That's incorrect. My former neighborhood in california is all Al (as were many
subdivisions and individual homes built in the late 60's through the mid 70's in
the United States).