Posted to alt.home.repair
trader_4 trader_4 is offline

Default OT 2016 Toyota Avalon Rough Ride

On Tuesday, July 7, 2020 at 9:55:41 AM UTC-4, micky wrote:
In alt.home.repair, on Tue, 7 Jul 2020 09:23:07 -0400, Wade Garrett
wrote:

I love my 2016 Toyota Avalon Limited....except for the rough ride. You
can feel most every bump, expansion joint, pavement crack and manhole
cover on the road. Even shallow potholes slam and are a teeth-jarring
experience! The tires are inflated to the door sticker pressure and
there's nothing wrong with the suspension.

I know Toyota gave this trim model a "sportier" suspension with
225/18/45 skinny tires on 18 inch wheels to improve handling- rather
than go with the fatter 215/17/55 on 17 inch wheels on the lower trim
models.

It's getting to be tire time and I wonder if it might be worth buying a
tire/wheel package in the smaller size.

Would the taller 55 sidewalls absorb road bumps better? Any problems
with transmission shift points, speedo readings,

The speedometer depends only on the circumference of the tire, which
would be the same iiuc. The shift points also, I think.

There are online calculators available where you can put in the std tire
size and whatever you want to compare it against and it will do the math
and give you the speedometer difference. Generally you want to stay
within a few percent and IMO having it read out on the high side is
better to help avoid tickets.