Posted to rec.woodworking
Markem[_2_] Markem[_2_] is offline

Default The new Tool

On Mon, 6 Jul 2020 17:16:03 -0500, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote:

Some of you may remember me asking if anyone here has gotten a Shaper
Origin yet.

I got mine about 10 days ago and have not had tome to test it out much
other than the samples in the below links.

The tool comes with a map of the United States to practice with. I
actually went over this same map with two different bits and multiple
times with each. The registration for restarting a project is spot on.
Basically if a piece needs to be modified it is a no brainer to set it
back up and make a modification, this is assuming that you need to
remove more material rather than replace material. :~)

Anyway this link takes you to my very first ever attempt at using a CNC.
Obviously I should have used a larger piece of wood so that I could
have scaled the map larger. Unfortunately some of the NE states got
wiped off the map. ;~) The blank was 12" x 7"
Also each state was individual, none shared the neighbor states geometry
and this resulted in a wider division between the states.
And FWIW this tool has scalable on-board lettering, hence the TEXAS.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb112...n/photostream/

July 5 I decided to see if I could duplicate the logo on my business
card less the phone number and specialties. I would like to add this
engraving to each of my pieces from this point on, or if a customer
wants to bring me a door or drawer to add this to. It is approximately
2.5" x 1.5"
This was done all with a v-groove bit and I am pleased with a first time
attempt of converting a drawing of a bridge and importing lettering with
a different font. Maybe a 1/16" straight cut bit will yield a simpler
appearance.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb112...n/photostream/

Pretty cool, though the Red River seems a bit rough.