Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Splice 220 volt 6 gauge line outside- is it safe?

On Mon, 6 Jul 2020 11:26:05 -0700 (PDT), TimR
wrote:

The wiring in that other panel looks really sloppy to my eyes.

I don't know code but usually when an inspector sees something that looks like that he keeps looking until he finds something. And conversely when everything looks neat and tidy they figure there's nothing to look for.

The first rule of inspecting is limit yourself to the scope of the
open permit. It makes your life easier. ;-)

Looking at that panel my main question is about how they grounded the
can. They should have extended the 8ga from the feeder to the can, not
2 #12s from god knows where. (also the 2 wires under a lug listed for
1) If there is not an 8ga path the can is not properly grounded. I
would also look to be sure there is a clip on the in feed breaker.
Using wire nuts in lieu of a ground bus is bad workmanship but not
illegal. It does seem to reflect the "what I had on the truck" style
in the other box.