Posted to alt.home.repair
trader_4 trader_4 is offline

Default Ceiling fans: AC vs DC

On Monday, July 6, 2020 at 2:23:39 PM UTC-4, wrote:
On Friday, June 26, 2020 at 2:59:07 PM UTC-5, Hawk wrote:
On 6/26/2020 10:36 AM, wrote:
On Thursday, June 25, 2020 at 8:40:55 PM UTC-5, Hawk wrote:
On 6/25/2020 9:25 PM, wrote:
I am shopping for ceiling fans and I am see adds for fans that have DC motors that are rated and advertised for a lot more efficiency.

Just don't understand why a DC motor would be much more efficient that AC ?

Any help is appreciated.

Thank You.

DC motor is 30% more efficient due to the secondary magnetic field being
generated from the permanent magnets rather than copper windings.

Does that add alot of weigh to the fan motor ?

https://www.machinedesign.com/mechan...per%20windings.

Good Article ...
Thank You.

Also factor in that whatever the percent savings, they are a pretty small
load to begin with, the lower the speed the less power, factor in how
many hours you actually use it. Using an energy efficient motor on an
air handler or pool pump can make some noticeable difference in your electric
bill. A typical ceiling fan, used occasionally, not so much.