Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb[_3_] dpb[_3_] is offline

Default Splice 220 volt 6 gauge line outside- is it safe?

On 7/5/2020 10:32 PM, wrote:
On Sun, 5 Jul 2020 22:03:00 -0500, dpb wrote:

On 7/5/2020 5:14 PM, Stacey wrote:
Our contractor accidentally cut the 220 volt 6 gauge line that ran from our
main electrical box to a panel that operates our spa and outdoor
lighting. His
fix was to splice the lines in a junction box.Â* This is all outside and the
junction box is mounted on the side of a wood pergola hidden by a vine.
Is all
this safe?Â* Children play in this area daily
Picture of inside the junction box included , main house panel, and the spa
panel the cut line runs to
https://www.homeownershub.com/img/nc
https://www.homeownershub.com/img/nd
https://www.homeownershub.com/img/ne

As trader says, that's a cobbled-up job -- the mounting screws through
the box outside into the mounting board taht looks like it'll be wet
often enough and won't last indefinitely is definite no-no.

Box isn't outside rated, either I'm guessing.

Where is this located -- if it were buried, also as other said there are
splices for the purpose but if it were mine, unless you didn't call 811
and told him there wasn't anything where he was digging, if it were mine
I'd expect a "as new" repair/replacement, not a patch.

He screwed up, it's his nickel to make it whole again and this ain't
whole by any stretch. It works, but it's definitely not legit.

Dry, it's reasonably safe as temporary patch; wet it's a definite hazard.

The box is fine. It is a NEMA 3R rated junction box. (rain tight)
I already addressed the splices

Just wasn't sure whether was/wasn't from looking...as said, that was a
guess.

I notice this time it's got mounting ears--may have used the one on the
top that is hidden, the bottom one is hanging in air.

So, the assumption the lug mounting screws are also all that's holding
the box to the fence slat is possibly wrong, altho one screw on one side
isn't enough, either.

I'm still wondering where those two conduits came from/go to...inside
this box is NOT where the feed was cut I'm sure...what was done where
that occurred to get the pieces to this point to make the
connection/splices?