Hamilton Audio

Default humidity in the house?

just out of curiousity.....this was our first winter in this home and we
noticed that from about end of Nov to almost Feb, that the humidity in our
home displayed itself as tell-tale condensation on the lower edge of
windows. (northern ontario canada climate)

That was about 60% humidity...and we still have it. Its not uncomfortable,
in fact its quite nice in here (no static, dry lips, etc). but the moisture
I don't like in the winter. We tried running a borrowed dehumidifier, and
it did NOTHING. Pulled all of 3 drops from the air overnight.

At 60% humidity would the dehumidifier not be working overtime???? What are
my other options to controlling the humidity? I've got a new bathroom fan
installed and shower with the bathroom window open (all year). Older
furnace, no other accessories other than central air (which obviously
controls the issue in the summer). What could be going on? Is it that the
dehumidifier I borrowed didn't work??

any ideas on a more permanent solution? I know an air/air exchanger will
work wonders, but the cost is prohibitive. I heard that running a "fresh
air intake" to the intake side of the furnace works well....any ideas? just
cut a hole in the wall and run a duct to the intake???

I'm stumped!