Lester

Default Roof ridge vent: a DIY project?

On 1 Jun 2004 06:41:21 -0700, (Todd W. Roat) wrote:

I am a fairly competent DIYer. Need to install ridge vents. Could I
screw this up? Seems simple enough. Was hoping someone with
experience could teel me:

1) Most common mistake, things to watch out for.
2) best kind of vent to install.

Thanks!
Todd in Cincy

I did my ridge vent last year and can give you a little advice that
is fresh in my mind.

1. Don't make the slits wider than necessary. Follow the
instructions that come with your ridge vents exactly. (I wanted to
make them wider - big mistake).

2. I bought a new saw blade and wore it completely out on the first 12
inches I cut. It lasted less than 20 seconds. ( Don't try to saw thru
gravel coated shingles. Cut them with a knife.)

3. I have a hip roof so I didn't have enough 'ridge' area so I had to
run the ridge vent down the hips half way. You are only going to
tackle that job only once so don't be stingy with the ridge vent.
They sell special ridge vent for hips.

The job is easy enough for the homeowner but it takes longer than you
might think. Have some emergency covering for the event of rain.

Les