Posted to uk.d-i-y
Fredxx[_3_] Fredxx[_3_] is offline

Default Stripping lead-based paint

On 04/07/2020 10:51:33, wrote:
On 04/07/2020 01:41,
wrote:
On Friday, 3 July 2020 21:30:38 UTC+1, Â* wrote:
I've spent the last couple of days cutting-out and replacing rotten oak
and pitch pine from a large window frame, which means stripping and
repainting the whole thing. The house is 1930s so underneath the
modern'ish paint is lead-based paint - confirmed by the stickyness and
then the hard residue when I started stripping with a hot air gun.
I haven't had to strip lead-based paint before but I assume I wear a
mask and make sure not to burn the paint. The question really is how to
remove the hard residue, preferably without chemical stripper. I assume
that I hot scrape as much as possible and then sand with dust extraction
and lots of ventilation, but await guidance from anyone in the know.

You should definitely not be using a heatgun or sander on lead paint.
Stick with wet process.

What's well adhered, let it stay. It offers better protection than
modern paint anyway.

NT

I've had the chance now to look at guidance from several government
bodies and it seems that the critical temperature to stay below is 600C,
although some guidance recommends staying below 200C. Based on this I
don't see what's wrong with using a hot air gun, but mine is ancient so
I've ordered one with temperature control.

Painting-over isn't an option when that's been done many times before.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vapor_...nts_(data_page)
or even:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lead

Suggests the vapour pressure is very low for temperatures below 700C.