Posted to uk.d-i-y
Tim+[_5_] Tim+[_5_] is offline

Default Electronic components requirement.

Arthur Ravenscroft wrote:
On Saturday, 4 July 2020 11:00:22 UTC+1, T i m wrote:
On Fri, 3 Jul 2020 17:53:24 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

On Saturday, 4 July 2020 01:10:21 UTC+1, Arthur Ravenscroft wrote:
On Friday, 3 July 2020 21:28:50 UTC+1, Tim+ wrote:

You said all that before. I think if you shared what you are trying to
achieve/create youll get a lot more useful replies than €śbuy a Dremel€ť
etc.

I am building something that the user will slide the stock to be cut
into a slot. The slot being only wide enough for for the stock.
Imagine the user being too young to use a dangerous power saw. But old
enough to use a tool with a fully enclosed rotating saw blade.

that's what those vibrating saws are for

+1

Daughter and I designed and built a dolls house together when she was
about 5 and she used the vibro saw on her own (loosely supervised) for
cutting up the stair treads (there were quite a few as it was a 'town
house' design g) and any of the other smaller bits. That said, she
was a reasonably bright 5 year old.

She also was quite good at soldering (at around the same age) and when
she was a bit older, using the pillar drill and arc welding etc. ;-)

With the right PPE, the right instruction and the right safety guards
in place and working, there is no reason why such things can't be
done.

Cheers, T i m

p.s. I wonder if any of the above was a seed for her skills in
chainsaw carving. ;-)

Tim.
Not sure what you mean by a 'vibrating saw'.

That wasnt me. Youve messed up the attributions.

I presumed NY was talking about a multi-tool type oscillating blade tool.
Very good at cutting rigid stuff, rubbish for seriously cutting flesh. If
youve ever had a plaster removed in A&E a vibrating saw is commonly used
for this reason. Of course if youre determined you could probably do
yourself some mischief but the odd flesh wound is part of the learning
process. ;-)

I'm sure you don't mean a multi-tool.

I think he did. ;-)

On a related note, I've never soldered before. Could you recommend one to
me from RapidOnline please? And the type of soldering consumables I'll need.

Go on to YouTube and search for €śBig Clive€ť and €śsoldering€ť. Hes got some
good basic soldering advise there and easy to watch a video than read wordy
explanations.

--
Please don't feed the trolls