Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm John Rumm is offline

Default Tap tails onto compression fittings?

On 04/07/2020 12:14, R D S wrote:
I learned something this week....

If i'm connecting a screw on tap tail to, for example, an isolator valve
i'll use a both end compression one and do away with the nut and olive
on one end.

But you're supposed to get a specific one with a flatter end.
This was news to me (not enormously surprising) and news to the guys at
the local hardware store (perhaps moreso).

Anyway they didn't have any so i'm using normal ones as usual, is this
an issue?

Not in my experience, I have done similar for many years and never had a
problem.

(the argument against doing it is that the end of the service valve will
not have a suitable flat area for the washer to seal against. IME this
is not the case, and the end area of a service valve is much the same as
that of a "made for the job" tap connector)

--
Cheers,

John.