Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Stripping lead-based paint

On Friday, 3 July 2020 21:30:38 UTC+1, wrote:
I've spent the last couple of days cutting-out and replacing rotten oak
and pitch pine from a large window frame, which means stripping and
repainting the whole thing. The house is 1930s so underneath the
modern'ish paint is lead-based paint - confirmed by the stickyness and
then the hard residue when I started stripping with a hot air gun.
I haven't had to strip lead-based paint before but I assume I wear a
mask and make sure not to burn the paint. The question really is how to
remove the hard residue, preferably without chemical stripper. I assume
that I hot scrape as much as possible and then sand with dust extraction
and lots of ventilation, but await guidance from anyone in the know.

You should definitely not be using a heatgun or sander on lead paint. Stick with wet process.

What's well adhered, let it stay. It offers better protection than modern paint anyway.

NT