Posted to uk.d-i-y
Archibald Tarquin Blenkinsopp Esq Archibald Tarquin Blenkinsopp Esq is offline

Default Potted PCB

On Fri, 3 Jul 2020 16:03:49 +0100, Andrew
wrote:

On 03/07/2020 14:55, Archibald Tarquin Blenkinsopp Esq wrote:
On Fri, 03 Jul 2020 14:07:45 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

Am attempting to map out a pretty simple through hole PCB. It's the
central locking controller for late Rover SD1, and the complete unit NLA
as NOS. Made by Kiekert. Basically, two standard micro switches, a SPST
relay, and this timer PCB. The idea being to write a repair article for
the car club mag.

The PCB is potted in a blue material. Soft, and does cut off quite easily.
I'd guess something like PVC. But not sure. Removing it where it has
moulded round the components, a bit more tricky with a knife.

Anyone know of a solvent that would make it easy to remove - without
damage to any of the components or markings on them?

When I was in commercial third party repair, a lot of potted circuits
could be cleared and cleaned with Nitromoors.

A lot of care was needed as some of the components were not totally
immune, so selective washing and scraping was still required.

Nitromoors might be more component friendly now, maybe more potting
compound friendly too :-(

AB

From the well pummelled keyboard of Archibald Tarquin Blenkinsopp Esq

Nitromors no longer contains Methylene Chloride though, thanks to the
EU.

Have you tried it for de-potting since 2016 when it was reformulated ?

No, I suspected it may be the case that it was tamed a little, hence
my cautionary final sentence.

I have been out of third party repair for thirty years BTW.

Nitromors was doomed from the time that idiot in the papers a few
years back thought it was a good joke to cover her partners face in it
while in a drunken sleep.

Darwin triumphed once again!

AB

From the well pummelled keyboard of Archibald Tarquin Blenkinsopp Esq