Posted to rec.woodworking
[email protected] hubops@ccanoemail.ca is offline

Default Need ideas about using bearings for a spinning device

On Fri, 3 Jul 2020 09:53:42 -0700 (PDT),
wrote:

Hi!

I am a teacher and I want to make a few of these gadgets for a project this fall.
I'd like to make zoetrope/phenakistoscope boxes.
My students will make the actual drawings, but I want to make some interactive
display cases so they can show their work off to the rest of the school.
I'm not sure how to explain what I need - sort of like a lazy susan on a kitchen table,
but that will spin for longer when spun by hand. I'd like kids to be able to run their hand
around the outside rim of the wooden circular platform to get it spinning the right speed,
then be able to just watch for maybe ten seconds without having to continue spinning it with their hand.
Ooh! Now I'm thinking of a roulette wheel. Those spin for a long time.
I've also thought of skateboard and fidget spinner bearings, but not really sure what
would be my best choice to make this work well and be cost-effective.
Extra, probably unnecessary info: I plan on encasing each one in a plexiglass upper casing
with just the edge of the spinning platform sticking out one side so the kids can spin it.
This would all be much easier if I could just trust middle school students not to destroy things!
Thanks for any thoughts!
Lori

Lazy-susan bearings are available -

https://www.leevalley.com/en-ca/shop...susan-bearings

not sure how long they would spin ?

Roller blade wheels :

https://www.leevalley.com/en-ca/shop...urethane-wheel

Bicycle wheel axle & bearings - from a discarded bent wheel ?

John T.