Posted to uk.d-i-y
newshound newshound is offline

Default Electronic components requirement.

On 03/07/2020 08:35, Martin Brown wrote:
On 03/07/2020 03:20, F Murtz wrote:
On 3/7/20 5:12 am, Martin Brown wrote:
On 02/07/2020 18:23, Arthur Ravenscroft wrote:
Hi.
I am fancying a little project using electrical components.
I want to make a mini-mini-table saw.
I've looked at the RS Components website and its all bit out there
for me.
I think I'd like it to run on battery power at this stage but I may
be being naive.
The work that the saw is being designed for cutting very thin
sections of timber..2mm thick.

Why now use a very sharp knife or scalpel then?

I will build a manifold/body from acrylic or something.

So what is a list of components I will need to complete this.

eg
motor ( recommendations on this necessary)
spindle,
connectors,
gears,
battery holder type
soldering iron.
soldering consumables.
etc.

Thanks.

Arthur

Because he wants to build a mini mini table saw.

He has specified a crazy solution to the problem of cutting 2mm material
so thin you can do it far more accurately by hand with a sharp knife.

If he must persist in this madness then buying a Dremel tool or cheap
clone from Aldi/Lidl and adding a table to it would be my suggestion.

If he must buy bits then RapidOnline will be much cheaper than RS
provided he reached the minimum order value (ISTR £40).

I'd be more inclined to go for a tiny bandsaw configuration if I wanted
to do this sort of thing seriously and in volume. A table saw is far too
likely to snatch at thin wood whereas a band saw is quite well behaved.

Agreed.

Lidl had a small electric fretsaw a few weeks ago. I wondered whether
this was what he needed.