Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Whole House fans - where can I buy one?

On 02/07/2020 13:33, Jeff Layman wrote:
On 02/07/2020 08:57, Jeff Layman wrote:
On 01/07/20 10:17, wrote:
On Friday, May 28, 2010 at 4:42:14 PM UTC+1, Pyriform wrote:
I've decided these are a good idea, and I'd like to fit one. The
trouble is
that the only suitable products I've found using google are from US
companies, designed for 110V. Does anyone know of a UK supplier for
this
sort of thing?

[For anyone who doesn't know what I'm on about, a whole house fan is a
fairly powerful fan that vents hot air from the house into the attic
space
(and thence outside), and draws cool air in through open windows etc.
The
idea is that you run it when the house is too hot, and the outside
temperature is significantly cooler - typically to cool things down
at night
after a very hot day.]

Pyriform, did you ever get a useful reply to this?Â* I know what you
mean, having lived in the US we had one of these whole house fans in
our house and it was fantastic, meant we did not need to have air
conditioning installed.Â* With hotter summer days on the increase here
in the U.K., Im interested to get one put in the house here.Â* Our
loft is already ventilated, but I cant find the right kind of fan.
Thanks.

Try here https://www.johnsonandstarley.co.uk/products/ventilation.

Of course the issue is in the statement that: "and draws cool air in
through open windows etc."

Where did you see that statement? My understanding of the J&S system is
that it feeds the house rooms with warm air in winter and cold air in
summer using the same ducting. It uses the same heat-exchanger "in the
box" but working in reverse when it needs to cool rather than heat.
Anyway, even if the OP doesn't need air-conditioning, the point is that
J&S have a vast amount of experience with fans for whole-house
ventilation, so might well have a fan for the OP's requirements.

Only if your house has extreme solar gain and no roof insulation is it
going to be warmer inside than out

In hot summer here with 30C outside it is rare to see the inside go
aboven15. At night I open the windows., By day I close the windows and
draw the curtains

15?! I assume you meant 25. Or maybe you have a really high-powered A/C
unit... :-)

I meant 25.. :-)

--
Any fool can believe in principles - and most of them do!