TURTLE

Default New Roof Over Old Roof or Not?

"Seeker" wrote in message ...
I have a twenty-two year old home. I am assuming that the builder
quality shingles used in construction of the house mean I should be
looking at a new roof...soon!

This will be the first roof I have ever replaced. One company,
check-rated in the local consumer guide, came and gave me an estimate
for reshingling over the old roof.

Another company, with a good reputation but not check-rated in the
same guide, said they would not re-roof over an old roof and gave me
what sounded like reasonable reasons for so arguing.

Leaves me up in the air: two seemingly good companies, one saying
reshingle, the other saying don't.

What's the common wisdom on this? Reshingle or tear up the old
shingles and do a new roof?

Many thanks,
bob

This is Turtle.

When you have new carpet laid in your house , do you lay new carpet over the old or take the old up and put new ? Your Choice.

A lot of professional don't like to over lay old shingles for it will not be smooth and have high and low places. Also you have the
old felt which helps the shingle last , will become dry and not help the shingles retain the oil of the shingles.

TURTLE

---