Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Polishing Cut Perspex Rod

On 01/07/2020 22:15, Clive Arthur wrote:
On 01/07/2020 19:24, Brian Reay wrote:
I need to polish the ends of a few (well 4 bits) of short perspex rod,
about 3mm in diameter after cutting. The bits of rod are to form
'light pipes' in a display- each has an LED at one end.

Any ideas how best to polish the ends?

If you have a spare to practice on, I'd sand the end best you can then
wave it in a blowtorch flame.

Flame polishing might be the easiest solution if it doesn't have to be
optically flat. Another easy option would be to wet the ends with clear
epoxy and cast it against window glass with a mould release agent.

Polishing acrylic is possible but slow and tedious because it gets warm
and softens when you work it. Expect to use much elbow grease and time.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown