Posted to uk.d-i-y
Adam Funk[_3_] Adam Funk[_3_] is offline

Default Drainpipe slime --- do I need to care?

On 2020-07-01, Jeff Layman wrote:

On 01/07/20 10:36, Adam Funk wrote:
About a week or two ago, I noticed some slime on a drain grate, which
I removed. Then I noticed some more two days ago --- photo he

https://www.ducksburg.com/diy/2020-07-slime.jpg

white pipe: combined drain for kitchen sink, washer-dryer, dishwasher;
not very long.

blue pipe with short outlet: from a hopper higher up the wall, fed by
separate pipes from the bathroom sink, shower/bath (it's a shower over
a bath, but we only use the shower), & boiler condensate pipe.

blue pipe with long outlet: rain from the bathroom roof, through a
water-butt diverter.

Nothing seems to be plugged up or draining slowly, & I cleared out the
traps for the kitchen (which was clean), bathroom sink (some gunk), &
bath (some hair & gunk) about a month or two ago.

Do I need to care or do anything about the slime other than throw it
away when it comes out?

What happens if you pour boiling water on it? I wondered if it was a
mess of semi-congealed soap and other stuff. If it's that, the boiling
water will dissolve the soap and break up the slime. If it does,
although it is wasteful, quarter-fill the bath with water from the hot
tap then pull the plug. Any residual slime in the pipes should get
washed through. Repeat for the kitchen sink.

A kettle full (1.7 L, I think) of boiling water didn't dissolve it all
but broke it up so it was easy to wash through the grate with a garden
hose. The slime certainly stank. I'll try your idea later. (I'll
also get the ladder out & look in the hopper.)

What I really want to know is whether there is any reason to care that
this stuff is forming. It's must be happening in the hopper or the
pipee down from there, because nothing is draining slowly inside.