Posted to uk.d-i-y
RayL12 RayL12 is offline

Default Strange sand casts

On 27/06/2020 7:34, polygonum_on_google wrote:
On Friday, 26 June 2020 23:24:30 UTC+1, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Fri, 26 Jun 2020 03:17:26 -0700 (PDT), polygonum_on_google wrote:

Have recently seen many small curved objects on the beach. They appear
to be just sand - pick one up and it breaks up into nothing but sand.
Therefore, I rather assume they are some sort of cast. Possibly some
sort of protein binding it all together.

Cerainly look constructed rather than just a cast. That plain edge on
the left of the close up, the patterning over the bulk. Are they
hollow? Could they be the "shells" of something akin to a cadis fly
larva?

Tried taking a deep spade full of sand with one on into a bucket and
seeing if some critter or shellfish can be found?

They are approximately one millimetre thick and consist only of what you can see.

If you pick one up, it is a bit like a thin shell in that it is just one layer - but unbelievably fragile. If you didn't support it, the whole thing would fall apart. In order to get one onto the black sheet, I broke several.

It would nice if it was within your interest to find a method to cast
these shapes. There must be something that will bind the particles?

I think they will sell.