Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default What's special about fan speed controllers?

On 28/06/2020 20:06, Cursitor Doom wrote:
On Sun, 28 Jun 2020 19:36:10 +0100, wrote:

I need to control the speed of a kitchen extractor fan so have been
investigating how best to do it.
Using a phase-control light dimmer seems to be a no-no but I can't see
why except, perhaps, for starting torque - can anyone here explain?

Inductive load maybe.

If its synchronous you need a variable frequency drive.

let them."