Posted to uk.d-i-y
PeterC PeterC is offline

Default Pubs with out of date beer barrels

On Mon, 29 Jun 2020 15:02:32 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

On Monday, 29 June 2020 19:38:09 UTC+1, ARW wrote:
Nice to see the breweries sticking on new best before dates on your out
of date barrels.

In Cornwall:

Thousands of gallons of beer have been poured down the drain in Cornwall in the past week as pubs prepare to reopen.

It has been a challenge for South West Water, which has had to co-ordinate time slots for every pub to avoid overloading the system.

Mr Williams had to get rid of his beer on a Friday and a Monday, pouring 50 gallons each day.
"It took over an hour to get rid of but it had to be done," he said.
Staff at South West Water said they had to make sure only small amounts of beer were released into the system on any one day.
Andrew Rowntree, from the utility company, said beer took a lot of oxygen to break down - oxygen which was vital to the way water treatment plants worked.
If the treatment process gets hit with a lot of beer, then the bacteria within our system has a 'bad night out', and it doesn't do any good at all. It can completely kill our sewage treatment processes."
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk

Owain

Pub teneant in the village told me that there were 55 million pints across
the UK; about a week later his mother, who runs the pub in the next village,
said 72 million!
Apparently it's being disposed of locally because the delivery lorries can't
load the 'barrels' - drop and bounce doesn't work well in reverse - and it's
too expensive and complicated to hire lorries.
Marstons is reimbursing pubs for the wasted beer; I don't know what Wells is
doing re. rent, but it has a poor reputation as a pubco.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away