I-zheet M'drurz

Default New Roof Over Old Roof or Not?

Seeker wrote:

I have a twenty-two year old home. I am assuming that the
builder quality shingles used in construction of the house
mean I should be looking at a new roof...soon!

There's something to be said for the old adage: "it it ain't
broke, don't fix it." Having any problems with it?? The 25,
30, ?? year guarantees on shingles are all *relative* indicators
of quality, there is no clock ticking that says your shingles
*must* fall apart when they reach 25 years old. Just food for
thought.

This will be the first roof I have ever replaced. One
company, check-rated in the local consumer guide, came and gave
me an estimate for reshingling over the old roof.

Another company, with a good reputation but not check-rated
in the same guide, said they would not re-roof over an old roof
and gave me what sounded like reasonable reasons for so arguing.

Leaves me up in the air: two seemingly good companies, one
saying reshingle, the other saying don't.

What's the common wisdom on this? Reshingle or tear up the
old shingles and do a new roof?

The "rule of thumb" is two layers, max. You can tear off every
time, or every other time but never shall ye try to put a third
layer on top. That's mostly derived from the weight factor of
shingles, and a safe estimate of how much weight your framework
will hold.

Some people consider tearing off for every re-roofing the only
way to fly, some consider tear offs a total waste of money
unless you're taking off 2 layers.

I know that didn't really answer your question, but I want you
to see that you may be jumping the gun. Twice!

--
Ha'i D-suhlami
filling in for I-zheet M'drurz