Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Roberts Radio Alarm - clock not setting

No 60khz is longer than long wave actually.

I doubt the same receive er is used for the time as is used for the radio
am, but I guess both coils might share the same ferrite.
What wavebands does it actually cover? I had a radio medium and long which
was not good on those bands, somebody had dropped it and broken the ferrite
rod in half and the wires from one of the coils were severed. No real way to
repair it after that, sadly.
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"Chris Hogg" wrote in message
On Mon, 29 Jun 2020 11:38:05 +0100, CD wrote:

Hi
I picked up a nice Roberts radio alarm at a car boot. It has a feature
whereby it automatically sets the time on it's own via the Rugby[1] time
signal.
However, this feature isn't working & a scan through MW has little to no
reception.
I deduce from this that there's no reception of the 60kHz signal getting
through.
I'm not averse to taking it apart & having a look inside, I'm guessing
an issue with the ferrite rod aerial inside? Anything else I should be
looking for in particular?

Cheers

[1] I know it's moved from Rugby now.

Are you sure it gets its time signal from NPL Althorne? I ask because
I have a Roberts radio, much more recent than yours by the sound of
it, that gets its timing from the DAB signal. If the DAB signal is not
available, you have to set the time manually and hope it keeps
correct.

If you're certain yours gets its signal from Althorne, then try just
moving the radio to a different place in the house, as in the past
I've found the Althorne signal not easy to receive, and very dependent
on receiver location. Does your radio have a telescopic aerial? If so,
is it extended? Is 60kHz medium wave? I'm pretty rusty on that sort of
thing, but it has to be long wave or beyond, surely (the long
discontinued BBC Light Programme on Long Wave was at 1500 metres or
200kHz on the dial).

This may give you some more info
https://www.npl.co.uk/msf-signal

--