Posted to sci.electronics.repair
John-Del[_2_] John-Del[_2_] is offline

Default Bad chip resistors?

I've run into a lot of 500K resistors open in SMPS "start" circuits - where an IC gets its start Vcc from the rectified mains and divided down to 2.5V with half a dozen high value resistors and one low value resistor at ground. The same arrangement was also used to monitor the output and use the divided voltage for feedback. I can't recall seeing a high value smd resistor open with low voltage across them.

Whenever I see any inop SMPS supply with no blown output devices, I look for these first.

Interestingly, I've also found these resistors can be bothered by the adhesive beneath them and read *lower* value than their printed values. When I run into a supply that drifts, I remove these resistors, clean the adhesive off the board beneath them, and reinstall them. They read on the dot after that.