Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon[_7_] Leon[_7_] is offline

Default Tung Oil & Val Oil- 2 Questions About Both

On 6/27/2020 9:26 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
1 - Do they go bad sitting in a can? I've got a can of each...could be as
old as 10 years, I don't recall.

Normally not if unopened. Once opened 50/50.

2 - Which (if either) could I use on cedar to keep it from turning grey (as
fast)?

No clear finish will keep wood from turning grey, that I am aware of.
UV rays fade the surface of the wood.
Pressure wash or sand to remove the grey.

I'm making some planter boxes for SWMBO (pictures coming when I'm done) and
wondering what I could use to keep the grey away for as long as possible. I
don't think there will be any ongoing maintenance, but if I can toss on a
fews coats of something to at least keep them looking new for longer, I'd
give it a try.

If you wan to still see the wood, use an outdoor stain.

(These aren't show pieces, just something so she can plant some herbs in
amongst her other plants.)

Thanks!