Posted to uk.d-i-y
T i m T i m is offline

Default Solar panel controller - all the same? Recommendations?

On Mon, 29 Jun 2020 05:59:22 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

snip

So, now we have ascertained that we will *have* to waste (valuable /
solar generated) energy to prevent damage to the battery from
over-discharge, the issue is how to do that.

you have come nowhere remotely near establishing that.

It's a fact mate. I'd stop digging if I were you.

You are not a good engineer.

I'm not 'an engineer', I'm an electronics / datacoms service tech (by
training).

Are the commercial charge controller solutions as 'good' when it comes
to any parasitic load then we might be able to come up with ourselves?

If we had something that could sleep for say 5 mins (depending on the
size of the load to the battery capacity (so rate of discharge), and
given no solar charge) and only wake long enough to check the battery
voltage and either toggle the output off or not before sleeping, as
long as the total energy consumed during that cycle was less than the
average of something more linear, then we may have a solution. ;-)

ESP32 / Deep sleep (10uA?)

https://lastminuteengineers.com/esp3...r-consumption/

Cheers, T i m

So are you actually proposing using an ESP32 to cut the battery off at low voltage?

Nope, I'm considering the use of one to manage a latching relay to do
that (and potentially many other things that could be handy in such
circumstances).

"At the heart of the ESP32 chip is a Dual-Core 32-bit microprocessor along with 448 KB of ROM, 520 KB of SRAM and 4MB of Flash memory.

It also contains WiFi module, Bluetooth Module, Cryptographic Accelerator (a co-processor designed specifically to perform cryptographic operations), the RTC module, and lot of peripherals."

Very good, at least you can copy and paste. Now, do you actually
*have* an ESP32 there OOI and if so, what have you used it for so far?

If so, you're lost in space.

And you are still so literal / difficult / stubborn that you are
missing the bigger picture.

How many uA would your proposed 'basic electronics' LVD solution draw?
I mean, even if you don't want to show the schematic here (to help
others) you could give us the value?

Answer that or STFU.

Cheers, T i m