Posted to uk.d-i-y
Richard[_10_] Richard[_10_] is offline

Default Why do Screwfix want my mobile number so badly?

On 27/06/2020 19:01, wrote:
On Saturday, 27 June 2020 15:34:52 UTC+1, Richard wrote:
On 27/06/2020 15:27, tabbypurr wrote:
On Saturday, 27 June 2020 11:46:10 UTC+1, Caecilius wrote:

The screwfix website really wants my mobile number when I place an
order: phone number is a required field on the order page, and SMS is
the only way to receive notification when the order is ready for
collection.

Why do Screfix want my mobile number so badly? They send me an order
confirmation email, so why can't they send me another email when the
order is ready for collection? Surely most people can receive emails
on their phone nowadays.

Toolstation use email, so it's not like it can't be done that way.

I had the same thing with another company yesterday. This data grab obsession is just weird.

No more weird than the associated paranoia.

Ya know, when you look at all the problems caused by people having other people's data, (it's a multibillion pound per year industry) it's quite naive to misinterpret saying no as paranoia.

Could've saved a few keystrokes by stopping before "having".