Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Solar panel controller - all the same? Recommendations?

On Saturday, 27 June 2020 12:41:09 UTC+1, David WE Roberts (Google) wrote:
A long time ago I bought a flexible solar panel (the type you stick on
boats or strap to the boom).
Just to play with.
It is a Uni-Solar 5W(!) panel.

I soon found that you have to have something to stop the panel drawing
current when the sun doesn't shine.
Back in the box for a bit (where a bit is of undefined length).

I'm now thinking of playing with it again and am looking for a simple
controller.

There are loads of apparently different brands on Amazon for around £10
upwards.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/solar-panel...?k=solar+panel
+controller

A remarkable number seem to have the LCD screen, USB ports, buttons etc.
all in identical places which suggests that they may all be one product
(or at least underlying board).

https://www.amazon.com/solar-panel-controller/s?k=solar+panel+controller

seems to show this more markedly.

Does anyone have any experience of these, perhaps enough to make a
recommendation?

Still only playing.

Cheers

Dave R

Assuming you're charging a lead acid battery and it's not SLA, 5w is not enough to need a controller. A diode stops any discharge.

NT