Posted to alt.home.repair
Jim Joyce Jim Joyce is offline

Default How to drag large garbage can?

On Fri, 26 Jun 2020 18:24:30 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

On Monday, May 3, 2010 at 8:22:05 PM UTC-7, Walter E. wrote:
Our city provides large garbage cans, about 4' tall and 30" square. Full,
they can weigh up to 200 pounds, especially if we fill them with heavy ice
plant. Our home is located at the bottom of a fairly steep driveway (50' in
length). We have three of these black cans for household garbage and
landscape debris.

I am getting on in years (80 YO) and find it hard to roll these monster cans
up to the curb for pickup by the garbage truck. I have tried tying them (one
at a time) to the hook for my trunk lid inside my trunk.

The problem is, the cans meander something awful when I pull them up the
hill with my car, to the point where I am afraid they might tip over
sideways. I have used heavy rope and also bungee cords. Same problem.

Any better suggestion, anyone? Thank you.

Dear Walter,

You can buy a small hitch for the back of your car that is designed for smaller tows like garbage cans. I'm looking into those for the same reason. If you haven't already - maybe call your garbage company. Where I used to live they had what they called an 'on-site' option for seniors and/or physically impaired. You'd have your doctor sign a form validating your age etc., and then they sign you up. The garbage man would come up to the gate and get my cans. The same service was available to sturdy folk, but they had to pay for it.

Best of luck.

Walter is about 90 years old now. During the past 10 years since he posted,
his situation may have changed significantly.