Posted to uk.d-i-y
polygonum_on_google[_2_] polygonum_on_google[_2_] is offline

Default Strange sand casts

On Friday, 26 June 2020 11:30:03 UTC+1, Jack Harry Teesdale wrote:
On 26/06/2020 11:17, polygonum_on_google wrote:
Have recently seen many small curved objects on the beach. They appear to be just sand - pick one up and it breaks up into nothing but sand. Therefore, I rather assume they are some sort of cast. Possibly some sort of protein binding it all together.

Each one is something like 75 mm long.

Across the beach there must be untold thousands:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/iyu0ebxod0...small.jpg?dl=0

And, close-up, moved onto a black background:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/stlif4xstw...small.jpg?dl=0

I have tried image searches - Google, TinEye, Bing. Nothing I've found so far matches!

Any good ideas about how to preserve one - as a specimen? Obviously, without changing its look. Has to be a simple technique using pretty safe materials as it would have to be done on a public beach.

Worm casts?

What sort of worm?

And why have I not seen them, at least not in such profusion, before? That is, there might have been a few, which I had not noticed, but now they are absolutely everywhere and unmissable.