Default A Use for Defunct (small) Propane Tanks

zxcvbob wrote:

wrote:
On Sun, 30 May 2004 16:32:57 -0400, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:

Propane and natural gas run on different pressures. They can
be converted back and forth, but it takes some know how.

There should be a test date for the tank, stamped onto the
handle. It looks something like 5-02. Month and year. The
pressure tests are only good for a couple years. It used to
be 12 years. I think? I'm likely mistaken.

The Fed now requires all filling stations to fill only "OPD"
tanks, which have a triangular valve handle, and an
"overfill protection device". Been required for a couple
years.

You can get infared heaters, cook stove, gas grilles, weed
burners, etc. Camping supplies, and some gear at
www.harborfreight.com

Your biggest challenge is that curbside tanks are usually
the old style, and no one wants to refil them.

If you have a waterfront property, you can tie a weight and
a long rope, paint the tanks, and use them for water marker
buoys. Let the propane out, and then close the valve. Paint
them bright colors. You might also be able to use them for
flotation to keep your dock afloat.

Probably worth $10 a ton for scrapsteel. Wish I was more
optomistic. Sometimes things are in the trash cause they are
not worth anthing.

I got a whole bunch of the older style tanks, and get more every week.
I got a 500 gallon propane tank in my yard, and I am looking into the
necessary adaptors to fill these tanks. Just because the companies
that fill them are not allowed to refill them, dont mean I can fill my
own tanks. This whole thing was just another conspiracy to sell more
tanks and make someone rich. Same old story !!!! I used the old
style tanks for years and years and never had any trouble with them.
It's mostly the insurance companies that forced the change, so they
can keep collecting money and never have to pay. These are the same
insurance companies who are ruining many other factors in our lives,
all in the name of safety, which has gone to such extremes that pretty
soon no one will be able to do anything.

AFAIK, they can fill propane tanks with the old CGA 510 non-OPD valve if
the capacity is over 40 pounds. There should be no problem with a 500
gallon tank. (I thought those *big* tanks used a different fill valve
anyway.)

Bob

how about one of those tanks that is twice the size of the little one..
i bought one years ago for a steam cleaner and would like to have it
refilled sometime?? can they refill them?????