Stormin Mormon

Default A Use for Defunct (small) Propane Tanks

Propane and natural gas run on different pressures. They can
be converted back and forth, but it takes some know how.

There should be a test date for the tank, stamped onto the
handle. It looks something like 5-02. Month and year. The
pressure tests are only good for a couple years. It used to
be 12 years. I think? I'm likely mistaken.

The Fed now requires all filling stations to fill only "OPD"
tanks, which have a triangular valve handle, and an
"overfill protection device". Been required for a couple
years.

You can get infared heaters, cook stove, gas grilles, weed
burners, etc. Camping supplies, and some gear at
www.harborfreight.com

Your biggest challenge is that curbside tanks are usually
the old style, and no one wants to refil them.

If you have a waterfront property, you can tie a weight and
a long rope, paint the tanks, and use them for water marker
buoys. Let the propane out, and then close the valve. Paint
them bright colors. You might also be able to use them for
flotation to keep your dock afloat.

Probably worth $10 a ton for scrapsteel. Wish I was more
optomistic. Sometimes things are in the trash cause they are
not worth anthing.

--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"MelvinSlankerd" wrote in
message
I see more and more (full) small propane tanks being set out
for haul away. I
have picked up half a dozen of them. I know little or
nothing about them. What
can I use them for? I have lots of gas fittings and some
propane fittings in
cans in my shed. All my barbequing has been with charcoal, I
never used gas or
propane.

Could I hook one of these small tanks (they weigh about 20
or 30 pounds full)
up to gas connect line and run a small natural gas heater
with it? Maybe I
could rig up some flexible hose and walk around my yard
burning up weeds with
it? I don't know. In using these old propane tanks, will it
be necessary to use
regulators and check valves etc...just to say run a 6 foot
rubber hose off of
it to burn weeds? I mean: are they THAT explosive that they
would require a
check valve inline?

Thanks anyone for ideas or suggestions.