Mr. R

Default Home Phone Wiring Question

wrote in message
On Sun, 30 May 2004 12:40:46 GMT, "Mr. R" wrote:

I have just received a (Voice Over IP) VOIP package from Vonage.

I have a house with a one-line phone network, where five phones share the
same line. The tech person I spoke with at Vonage told me to simply

connect
the Motorola VOIP until to any available phone jack, so that the entire
house become connected. This is where my question is.

I have an ideal situation where the Motorola VOIP unit is in my basement,
and there is a phone jack box on the other side of the wall in the room

next
door. I have plugged the RJ11 into the Line 1 port of the Motorola VOIP
until. At the other end, I removed the other RJ11 plug and have fed the
wires through the back of the box where the phone jack is.

snip

Why did you remove the RJ112 from the line? All you had to do is plug
it into the jack!

I removed the RJ11 from the Network Interface out side the house (to
avoid any problems from stray telco signals) and plugged the line from
the Motorola into one of the jacks in the room where it is located.

Why make things complicated for yourself?

I got it working. Thanks. The problem was, I didn't have a jack in the
room where the Motorola unit is located. I will, however, remove the RJ112
in the outside box as I had no idea that there could be stray telco signals.