Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech
Arlen Holder[_5_] Arlen Holder[_5_] is offline

Default Inspection and oil change

On Mon, 22 Jun 2020 10:36:33 -0700 (PDT), TimR wrote:

I quit changing my own oil when the local places
offered coupons for less than the cost of parts.

To each his own, but I doubt even at the sale price, it's less than what it
would cost at home.

For example, a Mann (Mahle, Hengst, etc.) filter cartridge (with o-ring)
for my bimmer costs less than five bucks online, and, six quarts of the
best quality dino juice you can buy is about 2 bucks a quart.
https://www.oilspecifications.org/oiltool/oiltool.php

*Add the local California sales tax of about 10% that's about 20 bucks*.

Plus, I can change my oil with the convenience that I don't have to drive
down to the shop (admittedly, for me, that's a 30 mile round trip), wait,
get the free coffee, and have them do it for me.

And now with a new car, oil changes are free at the dealer
(though they always try to get something for you to pay for.)

Indeed, they do!

But if I were still driving an older car, I might go back to doing
it myself, and each time draining a some transmission fluid and
coolant at the same time. it won't all come out, but even without
emptying, about every three oil changes you've replaced most of it.

I don't change coolant or transmission oil at oil-change intervals, but I
do clean out the power steering filter every once in a while.

If you're going to drive an older car into the ground that's a way
to get a few extra years.

Yup.
--
Usenet is a polite public potluck of purposefully helpful advice.